Latest message you have seen: Fw: C-Bus now does energy monitoring...

RE: House power and damaging kit!!!

  • Subject: RE: House power and damaging kit!!!
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:52:23 +0100

Hi Paul,

Do the failed items all have Switched Mode Power Supplies ?

If so, it is probably just due to heat. Capacitors in the startup circuit
of
an SMPS can dry out due to the heat and will continue to run as long as
power is not removed. Once the power fails, the PSU will not start up
again.

PACE Analogue Satellite Receivers suffered quite badly from this as they
often ran at elevated temperatures due to poor air circulation in AV
cabinets. After a power failure they would die but unfortunately not
silently. They used to go with a very large BANG that took out several
components including the transformer.

HTH

Keith