Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT] Vario II Users (and other WM machines...)

Re: Apache reverse proxy ?

  • Subject: Re: Apache reverse proxy ?
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:14:56 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@m...>
wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Tried setting the root address of the Tivo to /tivo and ..... it works
!

> *BUT* its incredibly slow.. i.e. takes about 40-60 seconds to bring
back
> the initial page. Although subsequent pages are much faster. This must
> be something to do with either the proxying or the Tivo webserver
because
> a link to MythWeb from the same index page works fine.

What happens if you hit the tivo webserver from within your intranet
directly? If that's slow too, then most likely it's a tivo webserver
problem. I wonder if your initial slowness is caused by issues
resolving dns entries? Are you specifying dns names in your proxy
config, or using raw IP addresses. If the former, try the latter.

> Anyway, I then removed the ProxyPassReverse line from httpd.conf and
> guess what,... it still works. So what exactly is Reverse proxy
supposed
> to do ????

There is good explanation (better than I could write!) of
proxypassreverse here:
http://www.akadia.com/services/apache_redirect.html

Even if tivoweb doesn't use redirects, you will do no harm leaving it in.

Patrick