Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Base-line power consumption

Urgent help required: Star vs Daisy chain wiring for aircon control am I screwed

  • Subject: Urgent help required: Star vs Daisy chain wiring for aircon control am I screwed
  • From: "christopher purves" <CHRIS_PURVES@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:07:21 +0000

OK the story so far:

We have had a whole house Daikin air conditioning system installed(hot and
cold). 8 indoor units connected to 2 external units (4 internals to each
external). We opted for a touchscreen to control this setup as it could
provide timing to turn units on and off along with themostats and so forth
so it behaved much like a convetional heating system.

Each unit in the chain (including external units and the touchscreen) has
an
f1 and f2 signal connection.

Originally Daikin told our installer to wire as a 'star' back to the
touchscreen location which required a single 2 core cable to each indoor
and
outdoor unit back to the touchscreen which of course they did. In effect
join all f1's together and all f2's together and attach to f1 and f2 on the
trouchscreen.

However when speaking to Daikin today, Daikin are claiming the internal
units must be wired in a daisy chain (one to the next). 4 units daisy
chained into 1 external unit (so 2 setups like that) and then both external
units back to the touchscreen (again f1's to f1's, f2's to f2's). Clearly
the existing wiring does not support this method as there are not enough
cores but, I cannot for the life of me understand why a star and a daisy
chain should be any differrent ? Electrically it seems the connections are
the same.

I would also point out that each unit has an address settable by a four
input dip switch.

Can we just ignore their comments and wire it a as a star ?

Certainly CBUS can be wired as either.

Anyone ?

Help greatly appreciated. The installer and I are tempted just to try it
but
given the cost of the equipment we are a little nervous. On the otherhand
given that all the decoration is now finished it will cost us thousands to
rewire.

Ta
Chris