Latest message you have seen: Re: X10 to Cbus control ?

RE: Re: Win MCE Rollup2

  • Subject: RE: Re: Win MCE Rollup2
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:19:11 +0100

> Don't think it's lucky as mine also worked first time, and
> the radio appeared. Think it's bad luck if it doesn't work actually!!
>
> Incidentally, something I forgot to mention about my MCE
> install - it's inherently flaky if you leave it running for
> longer than a couple of days, so I run a scheduled job
> overnight which reboots the MCE machine, logs in and loads
> MCE. Each morning my PC is clean as a bell and works all day.
> I've been doing this for 3 months and haven't had a failure -
> the previous 3 months were (ahem) a different matter.

Hmmm ... Hadn't thought of that.

The batch file that runs at 3am to defrag the recordings could have a
restart patched into the end of it too.

I wonder if the "Only start the task if the computer has been idle for
at
least" and "Stop the task if the computer ceases to be idle"
options in
Scheduled Tasks pick up if a recording is taking place or you're watching
something (and would prevent the batch file running and hence the MCE
machine being rebooted which is what you want to happen).

> If you appreciate its based on Windows, and do stuff to
> remediate against the dodginess, it seems to do quite well!!
> So much so, i've just ordered the parts to build a
> replacement MCE box (to free up my
> desktop) which is Pentium M based. Going silent!!

Yup - I'm looking that way too when I have a few quid spare.

Phil