RE: BBC Interactive media trail

  • Subject: RE: BBC Interactive media trail
  • From: "Robert Chasmer" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:00:25 +0100

lee.taylor@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Seems it's just me then that's actually had to do anything so far.
> Filled in my last day on the diary this morning, so now it's just a
> waiting game till next Monday when I can download the software.

Actually, I had I to do my first weeks diary from Monday as well.

Should have the software on Monday the 19th.  I doubt I'll be able to watch
the downloaded content on the XBOX though due to the DRM....

Looks like http://panel.gfkmedia.co.uk/
doesn't work without a login, so heres a snippit from there website about
how it works:-

The iMP is powered by an application called Kontiki. More information can
be found on the Kontiki website under 'Secure delivery'. http://www.kontiki.com/

- BBC iMP is a new application in development which enables users to
download programmes from bbc.co.uk and watch or listen to them for seven
days after they have been on TV.

- After seven days the programme file expires (using digital rights
management software) and the user will no longer be able to watch it. DRM
also prevents users emailing the files to other computer users or sharing
it via disk.

- iMP uses peer to peer distribution technology (P2P) to distributes its
audio visual content effectively.

To keep the cost of sending video files down, iMP works peer-to-peer, a bit
like programs like Kazaa or Livewire. This means that once you've
downloaded a programme, other people will be able to download it from you.
The 'closer' they are to you, the faster they will be able to download it.
Download times will depend upon the length of the programme and the speed
of your connection.
On average a 30 minute programme will take just over that time to download
if you have a broadband connection, or five hours on dialup! Once a
programme is downloaded, users get a 'key' from the BBC website to unlock
it. The big difference from other peer-to-peer programs like Kazaa is that
only BBC approved content will appear.

--
/ ___   / /  /  / __    / _____ HOME: rob@xxxxxxx