Re: Cat8 cable?

JT @ Home wrote:

> But reading the article on hiddenwires gives an outline overview of
cat8
> cable.
> And looking at the archive date - 16 Dec 2003
> That was posted nearly 2 years ago - surely we've made some
> technological advancement since then? Including a spec for cat8 cable.

No question over the existence of the cat8 standard.

The handling requirements are (presumably) more stringent than cat6
though, which is generally held to be a bit of a pain to install
(compared to cat5) AIUI.

The last time I looked, even cat6 was significantly more expensive than
cat5. (How much is cat8 anyway? I've not seen it (nor cat7) for sale yet).

Given that cat5 is sufficient for (?) 90% of uses, I'm not sure why
anyone would go to the trouble of using cat8 throughout. In the few
places where it would currently be justified, a cheaper coax cable does
the job just as well (although it takes up more space).

If it's, say, twice the cost of cat5, then I guess it would be
worthwhile (compared to the cost of digging out cat5 and putting in cat8
5-10 years from now...)?

Jim