x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?

  • Subject: x10, CBUS, and a VIOM - your views?
  • From: Adrian <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:46:51 +0100

Hi guys

I know the x10/cbus debate, i can see CBUS is a better product but a lot
more expensive. (as an example the 8chan dim units are around £400,
8xLD11's are about £200, the cost of getting the CBUS switches adds up
where as the LD11's just need normal/momentary switches)

I already have quite a few x10 bits (LD11's mostly) and have been
looking at making the system a bit more flexiable. What i've thought
about doing is pulling out the T&E and cabling CAT5 to the light wall
switches (so i can use normal/momentary switches as well as LED's/IR
transmitters/receivers/whatever)  - these then get wired back to a
preprogrammed VIOM so the inputs control the outputs, these in turn are
wired so a relay (5v to 240V, already have about 10) to control the
switch input on the LD11

so what i get is similiar control of the LD11 as if hardwired ( as in if
i was using a x10 tansmitter module, there would be slight delays in the
lights), i still get control via x10 (via comfort in my case, of course
it could always also talk to the VIOM to toggle the outputs which is
potentially more reliable that x10), i get alot more flexablilty at my
wall switches and should be a whole lot cheaper (though not all the
advantages) of a new CBUS system.

thoughts?

Adrian