RE: [OT] My mini experience

>>I'm struggling to find the mac user interface friendlier than the
PC,
>> I can still do everything a lot faster on the PC
>
> Like the rest of us you probably have over a decade's experience with
> Windows though, so perhaps understandable.

It's amazing how many little things there are that you probably don't
realise you use....until you try to switch to mac os ;)

> I have found the Mac pretty easy to get to grips with for 80% of
tasks.
> The
> final 20% is what takes the time and experience I guess.

It's easy enough to get up and running doing *something*, but then,
window's isn't all bad in that regard either.

sometimes I can't help wondering if apple do things just to look different
or to look "cool" at the expense of the novice user.
In some respects, I actually found it it easier to get around an X desktop
than the Mac desktop, which is supposed to be the pinnacle of UI
achievements.

The traffic lights are a perfect example of this - any other OS tends to
have an "X" type close button and other vaguely recognisable
shapes for
maximise/minimise.
The mac does not.
It has a red traffic light which, yes, you could guess means
"stop",
except it doesn't actually stop the application, but amber and green bear
no relationship to "minimise" and "resize in some odd
way" that is their
actual function in life....

And yes, things like the genie effect look "cool", but ATEOTD,
I'm there
to USE my machine, not sit back admiring the "cool" UI - and that
goes for
this slowdown feature too where you can get things to happen more slowly
to admire the effects....

I do LIKE the mini but I don't think I could make a wholesale switch to
it...