Re: [OT] My mini experience

> http://simonmcc.blogspot.com/2005/05/mac-mini-problems.html
>
> As usual all comments welcome :)

A nice little summary there Simon - I like the mac because it is
"different" - something new to keep the old interest going, but I
too have
not retired my windows PCs.
There are some things that I just *know* how to do quickly and easily on
the PC but fail to find easy ways on the mac, so I just go back to windows
for them.

The mac UI is lovely and though it takes some getting used to, I do like
the consistency of the interface.
Still a bit put off by the lack of a "container" around windows
in an app
itself, and can never remember which dot is minimise/close/whatever the
otherone does - where's the "maximise" button when you need it?

And I miss the "stacking" that the start bar does of multiple
explorer
windows.  Speaking of start bar - why on earth is there no equivalent of
"Start, All Programs" on the Mac?  sure you can add a shortcut to
the apps
folder, but shouldn't that be standard????

As you say, the MS remote desktop is great, and indeed 90% of my work at
home is remote desktop from a laptop to my "real" PC in the
office.
It's as near as damn it as good as sitting AT the pc, video playbacl aside.

The mac remotedesktop client looks pretty poor in comparison, but at least
MS have made it available.

I have tried various flavours of vnc to control my mini from the laptop,
with varying degrees of success - ultravnc provides the richest
experience, with alt-tab even working properly to tab thru the mac apps -
bit it's flaky and once it throws a wobbler, only a reboot of the mac
fixes it.
tightvnc is reasonably quick and stable, but alt-tab is sent to the PC
instead of the mac, and neither are a real match for remote desktop.

I've thought about trying a commerical remote desktop thingy for the mac,
but then I'd be paying about 40% of the cost of the mini for a piece of
software to control it - which does not sit well with me :/

I like my mini, I could even consider getting a powerbook when this lappy
packs in (a while off yet though) because the ms remote desktop client for
the mac is reasonably okay - but I don't think I could make the switch
wholesale.....

cheers,

tony