RE: DVD from USB harddrive

  • Subject: RE: DVD from USB harddrive
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:17:07 -0000

Yes, I do so currently...

> Thinking of getting one of these 300gig drives putting it in
> a external box and copying DVD's on to it.
>
> I know I can stream DVD across the network ok, and assume
> that would be a bigger bottleneck than USB2

As I pointed out to Gareth - on my USB2.0 drives I'm getting about
14Mbytes/second sustained. Running multiple (different) movies
simultaneously from a single drive doesn't seen to be much of a problem
until I get to about 5 at a time (from one drive) and then things *CAN* get
glitchy but I don't think I ever saw any glitching playing 4 movies
simultaneously from a single drive. TBH I guess depending on where the
drive
is seeking to then you may get better or worse performance than that but
you
can certainly not worry about steaming one or two at a time.

> My goal is to use XLobby2 to play DVD's through.. I cant
> believe I've become so lazy that changing a DVD is now a hardship :)

Mine is due to my DVD changer dying! I have 350 movies spread out over 16 x
160Gb drives with a reasonable amount of space still to fill.

Phil