Latest message you have seen: RE: Interesting...

RE: Generators - is this a good one?

  • Subject: RE: Generators - is this a good one?
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:52:53 -0000

John,

I installed a Genset just before Christmas, well Christmas eve to be
exact.=
...=20

I went for an 11KVA unit, I think with 5KVA you will need to be careful
wha=
t you try to use while the genny is running.

The unit you list is petrol I think, you have to be careful with petrol,
it=
s obviously highly flammable, but it will also lose its punch after 12
mont=
hs due to the un-leaded fuel. It will be useless 18 months after it has
lef=
t the pump... Maybe 12 if you are unlucky. A full tank will give you 10
hou=
rs, is this really enough for seeing you through the night?

The unit is electric start so you may be able to set up a auto-start and
oi=
l warning system will help to prevent major damage if something occurs. I
h=
ave seen these on e-bay for =A3200+

I went to the other extreme with my unit, also from e-bay. It cost =A33K
by=
the time it was installed. It is a 2 cylinder air cooled diesel with a 45A=
Generator. It has a fully enclosed acoustic hood and a 100 Hour fuel tank.=
It also  came with its own purpose built mains fail changeover panel which=
means it is on line in less than 5 seconds...

Pictures here

http://photos.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo_212.html

HTH

Nigel