Re: UFH Control & CBus

  • Subject: Re: UFH Control & CBus
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:00:55 +0000

I have found the C-Bus internal temp sensor is not really very suitable
for temperature control of a room - it has a very wide hysteresis and
only reports in 1 degree increments AFAIK so you rooms will have quite
wide temperature fluctuations - 2 degrees at least. In fact mine varies
by as much as 4 degrees due to overshoots caused by the heat retention
in the heavy old cast iron radiators using standard ON/OFF zone valves.
I am firmly convinced proportional valves/feedback is the right way to
do this, but I haven't done it yet.  At UKHA 2003 , almost  two years
ago Graham C from Clipsal said that they were about to release room
thermostats which would be a new product with much better suitability
for local heating control and possibly local setpoint adjustments - but
I haven't seen anything since :-(

If you are prepared to roll your own then the Dallas sensors are much
more sensitive and very tiny -(but we could do with a nice mounting
option). Using something like Justins TOM10 board and either a direct
serial connection, Ethernet via an MSS100, or xAP / xPL conduits both of
which are freely available there are lots of options here. The board
handles 10 remote temperature sensors and the cable runs can be quite long.

Kevin