RE: Re: CBUS PAC

  • Subject: RE: Re: CBUS PAC
  • From: "christopher purves" <CHRIS_PURVES@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:04:41 +0000

<begin rant>

Surely Mike that would depend on what Ben and I had agreed ? I employ a
large number of programmers and their work is most definitely not theirs :)

I have always found this idea that you employ someone to program for you
and
then don't own the source a very odd thing. You are putting yourself at
great risk when you do not have the source code and are relying on a single
person who may or may not be around/ even still programming to fix things
if
they break. What if his hard disk crashed - you are also relying on him to
make backups.

In my experience of 'big business' it is always the other way round. As a
programmer you own none of the 'intilectual property/code' associated with
what you do while working for that business. In fact, you could be
proceuted
if you tried to use the code you had written elsewhere.

The first time I came accross this other way of working was with crestron
but as with most things crestron they are trying to make life better for
the
people who sell/implement their systems at the expense of the user and so
their approach is quite biased.These sorts of closed business models will
often lead to problems in the end (ask any economist) as people choose
another supplier having fallen foul of the 'closed shop' approach.

</end rant>

And yes Ben is a nice guy!

Chris