RE: OT - Best place to buy a PC

  • Subject: RE: OT - Best place to buy a PC
  • From: "White, Peter" <peter.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 23:07:28 +0100

I tend to agree with Jim; I do have a connection with Dell (we fix 'em),
bu=
they do represent pretty much the best value if you want 'name' brands in
the box.  If you don't, you could build a decent spec for =A3400, but these
days it's difficult to see whether that's really worthwhile for a
bog-standard surfing PC.  Dell did have some good pricing on bundled TFT's
(including their TV) as well, so even if he doesn't want the monitor, it's
maybe worth buying and eBaying.

The only annoying thing about Dell is their Tech Support, particularly if
you buy via the 'home/small business' route, as that means your support
wil=
be handled out of Bangalore.  Although it's improving, it's still a very
painful process (I speak first hand!).

Pete

PS - BTW, Always check the outlet;  the real bargs are to be had on
laptops=
,
but equally, if your friend's not too bothered about a particular spec, you
can get a good deal on desktops.  90% of these are just cancelled or
incorrect orders, so there's nothing wrong with them, and a lot of it is
current kit; I've just bought 2 X300's from there with a saving of about
=A3900.