Re: Speaker cable quality - magic or voodoo?

Quoting Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@gjcp.net>:

> Don't forget that bell wire has a comparatively high DC resistance,
like
> all single-strand thin wire.

Number of strands is irrelevant. Its the total cross sectional area that
makes
the difference

> Once you get to
> reasonably thick multistrand copper wire, it really doesn't matter.

A cable with a CSA of 2.5mm2 will be rated at approx 18-21A (depending on
usage) irrespective of whether it is a single 2.5mm wire as in T&E,
79/0.2 as
in speaker cable, or an ultraflexible test lead with >100 strands

> defy anyone to honestly tell me they can hear the difference between
> expensive speaker cable and ordinary 5A mains flex at normal domestic
> volume levels.  We use it for wiring up 200W PA speakers, and it works
> just fine.

Agree entirely :-)

> > ... your kit will be different from mine
> > ... your ears will be different from mine
>
> ... and that's something too many people forget.

...as will the content played on it.

The important thing to remember is suitably sized conductors to deliver the
required amount of power without any significant losses in the cable.

Personally I tend to use stranded 2.5mm (bog standard 79/0.2 not expensive
stuff in pretty colours with arrows on the sheath) in preference to solid
2.5mm
purely because it is more flexible and easier to terminate.

My preferred connectors are XLR or Speakon. Jacks rely on a single point of
contact and dont lock in place, binding posts are fiddly (particularly if
you
want to change amplifiers quickly) and there is always the risk of stray
strands causing shorts.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com