RE: [Advert] [BulkBuy] Low Cost RS232 Serial to Ethernet Convertors

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [Advert] [BulkBuy] Low Cost RS232 Serial to Ethernet Convertors
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:38:41 -0000

Hi Frank,

No...  These devices will Ethernet enable almost any RS232 serial
device - you then install a 'virtual' COM port driver on your PC and this
creates a new COM port eg COM5 that can talk directly to the now Ethernet
connected serial device as if it was locally attached to the PC. Thus you
can locate things like HomeVison, Meteor, Comfort, Genesis (?!) Viom, Temp
Sensors etc - anywhere you want on your network but still have them
'connected' to serial ports on your PC and useable from the standard
applications. You can add loads of virtual COM devices this way. (Windows
and Novell OS). You can also create serial tunnels over a network (the
internet) using two of these devices conneted together. I have bought some
for another project so was just offering some to UKHA members on the back
o=
that bulk buy as they're so useful.

There is another device which I will be making myself which will xAP
enable HomeVision - that is the same device that xAP enables C-Bus and some
other serial devices. Theoretically it could xAP enable any serial based
device , it has several ports in one box . Expect it March (ish) in a nice
finished box (not sure if it wil be black though). The hardware is the same
as the C-Bus model - only the software (which I still have to do) changes.
C-Bus is already available with MK1 hardware.

Kevin

=20

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx=20