Re: Fw: [OT] Undeleting files - IMPORTANT

If you have a spare disk, you could also use a tool like Acronis TrueImage
that can make sector by sector disk copies so that you have more than one
shot at the recovery process.

BTW, is it a FAT or NTFS partition? NTFS is trickier, but some tools will
have a go.  http://www.recovermyfiles.com/Recover_Graphics.html
free trial
claims to show whether the product would succeed, though I've not tried it

Pete

On 07/01/2004 at 08:09 Gareth Cook wrote:

>Tim
>
>Best thing to do is remove the drive from the PC and put it into
another
>as an extra drive. Then run an undelete tool on that PC to extract the
>data and minimise loss from the reclaimed FAT.
>
>If you have no tools, grab me off list - I have some you can use - i
can
>remove them from my machine whilst use them, and keeping the licensing
>agreement intact. I've used them before to salvage data off drives with
>severe errors.
>
>G.
>
> Gareth Cook
> SWG EMEA North Account Manager
> IBM SWG - BTE Office - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
> Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
> AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@xxxxxxx
> email: g@xxxxxxx
>

>----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 07/01/2004 08:05 -----
>
>Discussion
>Main Topic
>
>"Tim Fletcher" <timfletcher@xxxxxxx>
>Yesterday 23:27
>
>.
>Subject:
>.
>[ukha_d] [OT] Undeleting files - IMPORTANT
>.
>Category:
>

>Hi everyone - I could use a favour,
>
>my brother took some snaps of his new baby daughter during the run up
>Christmas and it seems that during the download to his machine he
"lost"
>them.  The camera was a Nikon Coolpix and it auto-deleted them from the
CF

>card.  Tragically the baby died the day after Boxing Day and the
pictures
>have now taken on a massive importance.  I haven't had chance to see
the
>machine "personally" but want to be sure that I do the best
job I can to
>get them off (If they still exist) and I need to make sure I don't
damage
>my chances by doing something stupid.
>
>I have undeleted files successfully in the past, but never ones with
such
>significance - any suggestions about what I should use.  I know enough
not

>to install anything onto the drive where the photos (hopefully) reside.
>
>Any pointers would be gratefully received.
>
>Tim.

>UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
>http://www.ukha2004.com
>
>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx
>
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>To visit your group on the web, go to:

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

>UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
>http://www.ukha2004.com
>
>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx