Re: Apache Reverse proxying - WAS Introduction and first questions

Oops - you'll need to re-start the Apache server after part 2!!!

Start / Programs / Apache... / Control... / Restart

Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark Harrison \(Yahoo!\)"
<mph@a...>
wrote:
> OK - my own config had got a bit bizarre, and was coming up with odd
errors,
> so I've installed a clean version on my test server :-)
>

> 1: Install Apache 2. (I'm using 2.0.48, because I had it handy -
otherwise
> get the latest from www.apache.org)
>
> 2: Go to start / programs / apache http server 2.x.x / configure ...
/ edit
> the configuration
>
> 2.1: Uncomment the following lines (about 3 screenfuls down in the
config
> file)
>
> LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
> LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
> LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
>

> 2: Add a name-based virtual host directives by pasting the bottom at
the end
> of the file.
>
> (You'll want to change the references to the server names and IP
addresses
> to reflect your network - I'd fairly odd in running 10.14/16
internally -
> most people use 192.168...)
>
> ---------START ON NEXT LINE---------
>
>  NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName harmony.ascentium.co.uk
> proxyrequests on
> proxypass / http://10.14.16.22/
> proxypassreverse / http://10.14.16.22/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName xapcache.ascentium.co.uk
> proxyrequests on
> proxypass / http://10.14.16.14/
> proxypassreverse / http://10.14.16.14/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> ---------END ON PREVIOUS LINE---------
>

> 3: Create DNS entries....
>
> 3.1 Edit %windir%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts to add the server names
as
> specified in 2....
>
> ... note that ALL of these entries must point to the IP address of
the PROXY
> server, not the server you are trying to proxy...
>
> 3.2 Run NBTSTAT -R
>
> (note that the R must be upper-case, running it -r will show NetBios
names,
> whereas we want it to flush the NBT cache - if you understand it,
weep at my
> crude hacking and do the name resolution properly, if you don't
understand
> it, just run the command !)
>

> 4: Test
>
> Fire up your favourite web browser at the server names you set in 2
and
> 3....
>
> Just done and tesed on my Win2k box, and all works fine....
>
> .... with Internet explorer....
>

> PEOPLE WHO USE FIREFOX AS THEIR WEB BROWSER READ ON...
>

> The reverse proxying of some of the pages is rendering the entire
page as
> block-text showing the source... but it works with the Harmony web
server
> normally - it's only the proxying that's failing. I've noticed that
it has
> trouble with caching of sites all over the place, so I'm wondering
if there
> is something funny with its HTTP1.1 support???? Anyone else get these
> problems?
>

> Mark

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx