RE: Advice for newbie

Welcome to the list Penny!

>I'm quite happy to run several miles of Cat5e (or possibly Cat6 - is it
>significantly better?) round the place but am somewhat mystified by
X10.

Great start - allof us who have done CAT5 (myself included) repeat the
adage - "should have run more". It can be used for data, AV,
control...

X10 uses powerline or RF, so it's useful for where you don't have CAT5.
CAT6 is basically not worth the dosh just now, as there seems to be tons
of mileage left in CAT5e.

>I would much prefer the latter and, if it's possible, would be
>grateful for software recommendations.

There isn't much in the way of Ethernet connected Mains lighting (yet ;)
)
But Clipsal's CBUS system uses CAT5 wiring for control - it's expensive,
but very highly regarded by those who have it.

I would guess throwing CAT5 to potential switch locations, as well as
the usual PIRs, data points etc would be a good move.

>But I would love to have full control over the CH which will be
underfloor >throughout with a motorised valve for each room.  I am sure
that it must be >possible to control this via a "diary" so
that I can
instruct it on a day >by day, hour by hour basis the temperatures I want
for each room - some are >only used on alternate weekends, I don't like
to get too cold at night,
>and it would be great to program in a frost protecting 10 degrees C
>for winter breaks at the time of booking.  Hooking it up to the PIRs
>so that my occasionally insomniac husband needn't freeze in the wee
>small hours seems like a good idea too.

I use a system called xplhal for my heating - it's a home grown
development using the xPL protocol (details at www.xplhal.com and
www.xplproject.org.uk ) and is handy for stuff like changing heating
schedules in response to weather forecasts, pir triggers and so on.

That being said, your example sounds like prime country for Homevision -
it's a dedicated hardware controller that has digital I/O lines, X10
capability, scripting etc..

>Budget permitting I would like to get a hot tub

Wouldn't we all ;)

>I'm not expecting the group to solve all this (!)

Your expectations are low! This group is home to an enormous wealth of
knowledge!! (and some enormous authors too, it has to be said)

Ian.