Re: [OT] Printers and Print Servers

Hi Everyone!

Just thought i'd add my bit.  I bought one of the Samsung ML-1210's=20
>from
This was to replace my VERY old HP LaserJet IIP.  Set up a treat and=20
the print quality is just as good as my parent QMS Minolta =A3600=20
jobbie...

Its easier to buy a new one each time as it cost =A34 more than a new=20
toner!  very happy with it.  Got it networked no problems at all via=20
a dedicated PC.

HTH,

Matt--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
> My old LaserJet4 is starting to play up and I think it might be=20
time=20
> to replace it (just had to clean it again for the second time in a=20
> couple of months). I am unsure whether the problems are due to=20
tone=20
> running low or whether some other bits are worn out but looking at=20
> prices, the Toner for an LJ4 costs as much as some Samsung and=20
> Brother printers !!!!
>=20
> I dont want to fall into the same trap as I did with my colour=20
> printer. That had been out of action for a while due to lack of=20
> colour cartridge, I decided that even though the colour cartridge=20
was=20
> almost as expensive as some of the newer printers I would buy one=20
> because I had a couple of brand new black cartridges on the shelf.=20
> After fitting the colur cartridge I discovered that BOTH the black=20
> cartridges were unuseable because they were too old. I would hate=20
to=20
> shell out the best part of =A3100 on a Toner Cartridge only to find=20
I=20
> needed a new drum or something as well.
>=20
> The LaserJet4 is networked and all the new Laser printers I have=20
seen=20
> that I can afford are USB or Parallel port only. I realy dont want=20
to=20
> have a PC on all the time and am considering getting a Netgear or=20
> similar Print Server. If I bought one with two or more ports it=20
would=20
> also allow me to add the colour printer directly to the network=20
> rather than via the XP machine.
>=20
> A few questions though....
>=20
> 1. Any recommendations for a good but inexpensive Laser printer.=20
It=20
> doesnt get used too much ( I am still using the Toner Cartridge=20
that=20
> was in the LJ4 when it was given to me!)
>=20
> 2. Am I likely to get any compatabiliy problems trying to connect=20
my=20
> Lexmark 5770 via a print server.
>=20
> 3. Recommendations for a good 2 or 3 port print server.
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Keith

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx=20