Re: Cat5 cable for running outside

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cat5 cable for running outside
  • From: "matt_miles_uk" <m_miles@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:19:59 -0000

Hi!

don't mean to sound like an idiot (i find it very easy!).  Why use
cat5 at all?  Couldn't you use fibre and a converter on either end?
Media converters are available on e-bay for next to nothing if your
happy to use 10mbps... the 100mbps ones aren't that much more either.

I suppose the cable is the expensive bit, depends how far you have
to go really.  But patch leads on e-bay aren't hard to find up to
about 25m.

Just a thought,

HTH.

Matt

P.S.

No affiliation to e-bay, not tryign to sell stuff etc....

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Robert Welsh" <bob-ukha@xxxxxxx;
wrote:
> > Thanks. I do remember the general discussion, particularly
> > the "don't do it" part ;-)
> > I'm going to provide lightning protection and the cable will
> > be physically protected by tray. It's really the sheath I was
> > worried about.
> >
> > The links did throw up the right search string for Google
> > though, so thanks :-)
>
> No problem, Tim.
>
> Maybe once you've got your answers you could do a little write-up
in the
> FAQ ?
> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/faq/
>
> Just an idea...
>
> Cheers,
> 	Rob

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx