RE: Re: Amp/speaker recommendations?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Amp/speaker recommendations?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:03:26 -0000

I would just like to point out that at NO POINT in this thread have *I*
mentioned T&E. All my references have been to 3 CORE FLEX.

Electrically there is nothing wrong with Twin & Earth and it will do a
superb job of transferring the electrons from the amplifier to speakers and
back, however, I specifed FLEX for a number of PHYSICAL reasons...

1. The "Earth" conductor is used between speakers 1&2 and
3&4 to carry the
signal and therefore requires insulation. With flex the wire is already
insulated.

2. FLEXibility - Pulling a flexible cable through a ceiling is easier than
semi rigid T&E and will lay nice and flat across the ceiling.

3. Easy Termination - A flexible cable is stranded and will fit into spring
type terminals better than a solid cable. If there are binding posts it
doesnt really matter much one way or the other, but if the cable is to be
terminated directly onto the tags of a loudspeaker then you should use a
stranded conductor as a rigid one will apply unneccessary stress to the
terminals.

4. If you are really worried about the lack of directional arrows on the
sheath you can take comfort in the fact that FLEX is available not only in
the bog standard White and Black colours but also high visibility versions
designed for building sites and workshops so you can also choose from
Bright
Blue, Yukky Yello or 'Oribble Orange  :-)

NOTE FOR GRAHAM: The absence of arrows indicates that the cable relies on
GRAVITY for correct operation. You should ensure that the amplifier is
mounted AT LEAST 12 INCHES ABOVE THE SPEAKERS!!!

One of the above paragraphs ISNT based on fact.... see if you can guess
which one :-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv