X10 signals

Hi,
Having a few problems getting x10 signals around the house & I thought
I knew why - but now not so sure!!

1.Original part of the house is on one consumer unit and if I plug my CM12U
in there I can get a signal around all sockets on this unit. Newer part of
house is on another consumer unit and no way can I see any x10 signals.
Therefore thought a single consumer unit might be the answer.

2. If I do it the other way (CM12U off new consumer unit) its a little
strange in that I cannot see any x10 on the old consumer unit (which I
would expect) but also many sockets on the new unit cannot see x10! So I am
confused!!

Am reluctant to go down the (expensive) replacement route unless I am
fairly sure it is going to work as both units are fairly modern RCD units.

At the moment I have an extention lead from the old bit of the house into
my office (new bit of house) where I have the CM12U plugged in so that
atleast I can control what is going on in the old bit of the house (where I
need most control) - does that make sense? Well it certainly doesn't to
SWMBO who is not too keen on the lead wandering down the corridor - I keep
telling her its only temporary!!!

Any clues anyone??

John