Re: Amp/speaker recommendations?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Amp/speaker recommendations?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:55:49 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tony Butler" <lists@a...> wrote:

> Hey Keith - that's excellent thanks - I even understand your ascii
art
> :)

Just as well because there is some that I forgot to add!!!

> I guess I'd need about a 100w amp, per your example, to be able to
get a
> decent enough level around the place.
>

> What about cable - with long runs, do I need to get something
decent or
> just "anything that is not bell wire" ? :D

That is what I forgot to add....

you can simplify the wiring by using 3 core cable like this...

AMP----SPKR1-----SPKR2-----SPKR3----SPKR4

meaning only a single cable run for a channel rather than 4 runs and
having to connect them all back at the amp. Just use a reel of 1.25mm
or 1.5mm 3 core flex.

LEFT + (Brown)--------------------

+              +
SPKR1           SPKR3
-              -

(Green/Yellow)  -------        ----------
+                 +
SPKR2              SPKR4
-                 -

LEFT - (Blue)-------------------------------

The Green/Yellow is not connected between the amp and SPKR1.

The Green/Yellow is used to put SPKR1 and SPKR2 in series

The Green/Yellow is not connected between SPKR2 and SPKR3.

The Green/Yellow is used to put SPKR3 and SPKR4 in series

For the RIGHT channel it is exactly the same just add 4 to the
speaker number :-)

Dont forget to join the two browns together at SPKR2 but dont connect
them to the speaker.

Dont forget to join the two blues together at SPKR1 and SPKR3 but
dont connect them to the speaker.

Keith