RE: Amp/speaker recommendations?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Amp/speaker recommendations?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:07:19 -0000

Hi Tony,

Any normal stereo amp can happily do this because you want 8 speakers which
just happens to be a very nice number.

Assuming a normal amp that can handle 4-8 ohms per channel and normal 8 ohm
speakers the wiring is like this.....

LEFT +  -----(+[SPKR1]-)-----(+[SPKR2]-)---- LEFT -

--(+[SPKR3]-)-----(+[SPKR4]-)--

RIGHT + -----(+[SPKR5]-)-----(+[SPKR6]-)---- RIGHT -

--(+[SPKR7]-)-----(+[SPKR8]-)--

The techie explanation is this.....

LEFT CHANNEL

SPKR 1 and SPKR 2 ( both 8 ohms ) in series gives an effective load of 16
ohms
SPKR 3 and SPKR 4 ( both 8 ohms ) in series gives an effective load of 16
ohms

The two 16 ohm loads in parallel (SPKR 1+2) and (SPKR 3+4) gives an
effective load of 8 ohms so the amp thinks it just has one speaker
connected. Each speaker will receive 25% of the power so for an amp capable
of 100W per channel each speaker would receive a maximum of 25W

Speakers 5,6,7,8 are the same for the RIGHT CHANNEL.

Because this presents an 8 ohm load and most amps are happy down to 4 ohms
you could actually add another 8 speakers because the two (effective) 8ohm
loads on the channel would equate to a 4 ohm load. With 8 speakers each
would receive 12.5% of the power.

All speakers should be identical to avoid different sound levels due to
different efficiencies.

Hope that helps

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk