RE: TFTs & Touchscreens?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: TFTs & Touchscreens?
  • From: "Dave McLaughlin" <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:44:31 -0000

Hi Mark,

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Mark McCall [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
>Sent: 27 October 2003 17:35
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] TFTs & Touchscreens?
>
>Where did you get your 10.4 Dave?

I picked up 2 of them on eBay a couple of years ago. They are only 640x480
150cd brightness but good enough for what I need them for. I was also lucky
to get a couple of 3M SAW touch screens from the same guy, complete with
controllers. One is hooked up to a 486 embedded PC running Windows CE 3.0
and the other to a 586 233Mhz Geode based SBC running Windows 98. Works
great.

>Home made?

Yep, they are not VGA input models but instead 6 bit RGB digital. Because I
hook them up to a single board embedded computers which have LCD
interfaces,
this is not a problem, but it does limit what I can connect them to. You
can
not for instance, hook them up direct to a PC.

Lots of these can be found on eBay all the time. Do a search for NEC LCD
and
look for the panels on there own. Try to find something that is only a max
of about 2-3 years old as they are easier to interface with.

As an aside, I did pick up for free, 3 off 18.1" VGA input LCD panels
a few
weeks back. 1280x1024 and very nice too. Really tempted to buy a touch
screen for one of them and fit it somewhere. No case, just the LCD panel so
would need some work to be SWMBO compliant.

>Me too :)

Great minds think alike  :o)

Dave...
---