RE: Tivo / Sky+/pioneer dvr-5100hs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Tivo / Sky+/pioneer dvr-5100hs
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:08:24 -0000

> Dont forget, if you have a pair of premier channels such as both
sports,
> or both movies at least, then there is no =A310/month charge.

Very true and one of the two things I'd say make Sky+ a worthwhile
endeavour. The other being picture quality.
=20
> And Sky+ is light years faster to navigate and use than Tivo.

I'd disagree with that having used both extensively. The TiVo interface and
what it can do is simply superb at what it does and there are a lot of
othe=
things to be said for TiVo's OS as well that Sky+ simply cannot in any way,
shape or form match. For example, season passes that work and don't
automatically cancel at the slightest hiccup! Another shining example is,
you try finding something you know the name of in that rank bit of software
they use for searching! Oh and then there's the lack of guide data beyond
one week as well. :/

Sorry Gareth but the TiVo way is just soooo much better and I've got Sky+
and not TiVo now.

My solution was a bit different to the question, I use Sky+ and a Philips
DVDR880 for dumping anything to DVD that I want to do that with and it
work=
well enough for me. I use Sky+ because I want the PQ, but not the OS if the
PQ wasn't so important to me I'd have stuck with TiVo without a doubt.

My way I get the best of both worlds for less that the =A3600 you have as a
budget and with the extra left I whacked a 120Gb drive in Sky+, which is
quite literally a two minute job.

HTH

K.