RE: Spam Trapping Errors

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Spam Trapping Errors
  • From: "Rodney Hall" <rmh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:56:16 +0100

----Original Message----
From: Keith Doxey [mailto:ukha@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 October 2003 13:23
To: UKHA Discussion (E-mail)
Subject: [ukha_d] Spam Trapping Errors

> Hi All
>
> Firstly apologies to anyone who has sent me email and either had it
> bounce as undeliverable or seemingly had it ignored.
>
> I have just logged onto my email account via the web interface to see
> what was in the SPAM folder as I thought it strange that I hadnt
> received replies to a couple of emails that I had sent.
>
> I found that the SPAM folder contained 351 messages. Unfortunately
> 100 of them were GENUINE EMAILS that had incorrectly been identified
> as SPAM. I have established that they had several things in common.
>
> 1. Sender Identified as an Open Relay
>       bigpond.net.au
>       aol.com
>       ntlworld.com
>       rapidhoster.co.uk
> ( this trapped support messages from RapidHoster, some of my own
> messages as that is where my sites are hosted, and several from
> people I know have there sites hosted on RapidHoster)
>
> 2. Trapped by contents of messages. The SpamAssasin added points for
> "Toner Cartridge" contained within the body of the message
which with
> the points for being an "Open Relay" were enough to push it
over the
> limit. Upon checking the contents of the message it became apparent
> that the ONLY reference to Toner Cartridge was in the advertisement
> text added by Yahoo Groups.
>
> It may be worth other people checking their email accounts if they
> are setup not to download spam just to ensure that wanted messages
> havent been mistakenly labelled as SPAM.
>
> Any advice on how to "Fine Tune" SpamAssasin so that I
minimise the
> risk of losing wanted email whilst successfully trapping most of the
> trash would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Once again, apologies if you have had problems contacting me or have
> not received a reply but I dont know what else I can do to improve
> the siutuation. Alternate accounts that I used to use on BTInternet
> are now totally useless due to massive volumes of Spam received on a
> daily basis about 10% of which doesnt get trapped by their filters.
>
> I deliberately havent marked this as [OT] because about 40% of the
> incorrectly trapped emails were intended for this group :-(
>
> Keith
>
> www.diyha.co.uk
> www.kat5.tv

You could try the free download of SAProxy which I use and which is very
efficient. All spam is transferred into a Spam folder until you are
satisfied it has learnt all your correct spam files, when you can set it to
delete instead.

I've put it up on my site if you want it - http://tinyurl.com/sbfi

--
Rodney Hall