Re: OT Mobile Phone Advice

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Gerard McGovern" <stuff@i...>
wrote:
> > Nokia bluetooth is just as good as the sony product.
> >
> >     John. (used to work for Nokia)
>
> Explains the above comment then.

Not at all.
I _USED_ to work for them as a consultant software engineer.
I have no favouritism as I have nothing to gain from this.
I'm giving my opinion, not sales pitch.

> Nokia are a terrible company when it comes to Bluetooth.
> Try making a 6310i see a Bluetooth headset that isn't
> made by Nokia.

You are making your judgement based on one phone.
If you had read my post you will also have noticed I said
it is best to buy bluetooth accessories made by the same
company as the phone. This is true for all companies.
Sony and Motorola have problems too...
The added benefit of this is that both products can be
recharged using the same charger too.

> You can't because Nokia are big headed enough to think
> they can just bulldoze any industry standard because
> they have the biggest market share.

Well, you may be right on this one, but did you possibly
consider it may be the cheaper accessories don't actually
fully comply to the standards ???
They do help to set the standards after all.
I have worked for Ericcson in the past too and know that they
are more tolerent as they allow for a bit more flexibility
in whether the protocol is followed fully. This is also
why they have problems with lost links more often.
So which is worse ???

> Nokia have officially lost the plot, as proved by the
> N-Gage and their new line-up of phones.

lol ;-]
I know what you mean.
I want a phone to make calls. If I wanted a gameboy I'd buy one.
As with most things though they have targeted a specific
market with this (kids) and they are already flying
out of the shops.
If they produce 10 styles of phones it is likely that
each one in the range will find favour with different
people.
I don't like the 8810 (too small) but it sold very well
so others thought differently from me.

> In answer to the original question, I don't know a better
> phone than the Sony Ericsson T610. It does everything you
> could ever want.

Agreed.
you might have noticed that this was my first suggestion
(nokia phones suggested as an alternative).

I would say though that from online reviews I've read it
is said that the camera could be better.
Also shop around as prices on these vary widely.

Cheers,
John.

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx