Re: Re: Tivo Upgrade

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Tivo Upgrade
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:09:13 +0100

> > I thought MAC addresses are burned by the manufacturers when they
created
> > the NIC's?
>
> yeah, they are, and it has been known for a batch of NIC's to all have
th=

> same MAC address ...

You can clone them though... See
http://www.klcconsulting.net/Change_MAC_w2k.htm

(Most?) routers also allow this.  My cable mode is only accessible by (up
to) 5 MAC addresses, so when I got my router, rather than wait for a new
MA=
to be registered, I just changed the MAC on the router to the one on the
NI=
I already had registered.  Of course you have to remember not to use both
devices on the network at the same time! :-)  (the NIC was out of the
machine, so I've just got it in a bag with "ROUTER MAC" written
on it to
remind me :-)

A.