Introduction

Hi all,

I just joined this group and got a message asking me to introduce myself,
s=
o here I go.

I'm a code monkey/network spod/db geek etc. and have preferences for *nix,
=
TCP/IP and "vanilla" networking, and have only recently
discovered the fant=
astic world of HA after spending more hours than I should stuck at Keith
Do=
xley's Kat5 site in absolute amazement.  I followed some other links which
=
quickly took me to this wonderful new world of gadgetry and
Star-Trek-esque=
cool things (I really want to get around to trying the voice recognition s=
tuff, but one step at a time...)

I've always been one of those really naughty children that takes stuff
apar=
t just to see how it works, and for reasons beyond most peoples
comprehensi=
on, I've never seen any problem in rewiring a live plug.  My existence
must=
be testament to my skill at it :)

So after discovering HA which seemed to be right up my street, I pretty
muc=
h spent the next few months looking solely at HA based sites and reading,
s=
tudying and generally researching what's possible, what should be possible
=
and what I want to make possible; and I started planning my own projects.

I've had experience programming on a lot of levels, right from the
sadistic=
; assembly for microprocessors (a big 6502 fan :) - to fun programming; C
f=
or Linux - and programming-for-dummies; VB for Windows (or should that be
p=
oint-and-click programming?).  Hopefully I can put some of my knowledge to
=
good use and create some cool stuff and answer a few questions here every
n=
ow and again.

I just had my first parcel of goodies arrived from CableUniverse.co.uk
this=
morning, so I suppose that today is the starting point for the actual impl=
ementation of my projects (and the loss of a lot more money :).  I have
fou=
nd some extremely useful guides around for various things but doubtless I
w=
ouldn't have even started planning my projects without the help of a lot
of=
you guys (and gals) who took the effort to put so much helpful information=
on the web.

As far as my home automation interests go, my first project is simply to
cr=
eate the basics of my Node 0 and to install the cabling and power
infrastru=
cture around my home, where previously it was just restricted to the
comput=
er room with patch cables etc.  "Why does my loo need an IP
address?", I us=
ed to ask.  Tsch, silly me.

Along with my first project, I will be implementing a POTS PABX for our
hom=
e so we can have individual extensions in each room (with a view to switch
=
to VoIP when it becomes more affordable and accessible), setting up a
dedic=
ated Slackware-9 based media server for all my MP3's and DIVX's, having a
d=
iskless workstation in each and every room (allowing you to choose to run
L=
inux, Windows or BeOS) and setting up a home control Extranet for me to
int=
erface to all my clever things like X10 controls whilst I'm out of the
hous=
e.

I suppose when it comes to the actual HA side of things, my first few
proje=
cts will be quite generic (but necessary I suppose) but when I have the
bas=
ics setup and working, and with the knowledge that I am looking forward to
=
gaining from the group, I will start to try my hand at more complex and
inv=
olved projects.

I'd love to interface with the elevator in the building where I live
(which=
I recently *ahem* acquired keys for) and have a computer tell me the momen=
t some annoying excuse for a human parks in my space in the car park.
Beca=
use of this, I need to start getting involved with wireless control and
inf=
ormation gathering systems which sounds like fun.

Anyway, enough about me already - I'm sure there are many more interesting
=
posts to read.

Laters fellow UKHA geeks,
Paul