RE: Re: G4 Powerbook 17

Guys,

1Gig 17" Powerbook owner here :-)

If I start gushing please forgive me... ;-)

My main reason for purchase (apart from looks) was that I work with PC's
al=
day... And fancied a change in the evenings and at weekends... I still have
my P4 Shuttle... But its not been on anywhere near as much as it used to
be=
!

The screen is about the best I have seen on a laptop and I've seen a few!
(previous contract was laptop evaluation for large blue-chip co)

Its bright, crisp and of course.... HUGE :-)  Perfect for massive
spreadsheets, some image editing, making of videos, or just two word docs
side by side - wicked for watching the odd DVD too!

The weight of the laptop itself is actually not that bad.. I carry it with
me every day to work and back and I don=92t notice that much difference
between it and the ThinkPad it replaced, it=92s the expression on peoples
faces when you "get it out" that does it for me... As if to say
"so thin,
yet so powerful...... Wow"

OS X is a dream to use, yes it does crash now and then (nowhere near as
often as XP does on this dell I'm typing on now!) but its only the one app
that crashes and you can easily continue working.  You also have the beauty
that underneath it all is a strong BSD Unix, so if you want you can run all
your unix programs - I've had KDE and Evolution running on top of OS X
without a problem.  Of course.. If you just have to have Windows XP, then
you can run it up in a Virtual PC session.

One word of warning... The simple purchase of a mac doesn=92t stop
there...=
bought this laptop a good few months ago now... Since then a new iPod has
appeared, then came the new wireless keyboard and mouse, and panther (OS X
10.3) is preordered for delivery on the 24th - this should add a good deal
of speed.

Just noticed that as I have been typing this someone has mentioned theres
one in the refurb store... I was going to mention this too.  My PB17"
came
>from
laptop itself was released, it cost me =A31950 including VAT, at a time
whe=
the laptop was going new for =A32600.  Add to that the fact that the
laptop=
received was BRAND NEW (a cancelled order) then I was well chuffed at my
saving (especially since I have claimed the VAT back too, as it was a
company purchase!)  As Apple say, most refurb stock is either brand new or
has been returned within 7 days, comes with a clean bill of health and the
remainder of its AppleCare warranty - which can be extended - there may
however be cosmetic marks or scratches on the item... I was lucky :-)

There.. I've rambled for a little too long... Any questions on any aspect I
havent talked about (or ones that I have) then please feel free to ask!

Thanks

Hth

paul