Re: Is this old news?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Is this old news?
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:08:38 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Alistair Watkins" <ukha@a...>
wrote:
> I also think its illegal to record programs off the TV onto VCR=20
> etc. but does anyone really enforce this!?
>=20
> ^mad^

Alastair,

You are only partially correct here.

Under the section 70 of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act, 1988,=20
you do have a right to make a recording of a broadcast or cable=20
programme for time shifting, the purpose of viewing or listening at a=20
more convenient time. You don't have a right to long-term storage of=20
that recording, however.

This right pertains not only to the actual broadcast, but also to any=20
subsidiary work enclosed within it. (ie - if you have a burning=20
desire to watch TOTP on Saturday morning, you are within your rights=20
both in terms of the BBC's broadcast of the programme, and the record=20
companies' rights for the songs included therein.)

Regards,

Mark