RE: barcode scanner and automated shopping

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: barcode scanner and automated shopping
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:02:58 +0100

> I have just bought the Welch Allyn scanteam 3400, from=20
> laser.com. It has both keyboard and rs232 interfaces. In it=20
> default state, it picks up power via the inline keyboard=20
> connector, and outputs serial rs232 for the scanned barcode.=20
> I believe this can be changed to output via the keyboard=20
> interface if desired.=20

Has anyone else got one of these ? I'm looking at a bar-coding exercise for
a local charity and need a cheap reader.

If it's possible to get these to send codes to the keyboard rather than
serial port, this would make my programming task much easier.

How come bar code scanners are so expensive ? Is it just limited market ?