RE: barcode scanner and automated shopping

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: barcode scanner and automated shopping
  • From: "Iain Goodhew" <I.C.B.Goodhew@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:19:13 +0100

I have just bought the Welch Allyn scanteam 3400, from laser.com. It has
both keyboard and rs232 interfaces. In it default state, it picks up
power via the inline keyboard connector, and outputs serial rs232 for
the scanned barcode. I believe this can be changed to output via the
keyboard interface if desired.
I am also in the process of writing a vb app, that logs into the online
shop, and adds the item to the weekly shopping basket, however I=92m
really only at the stage of having a few routines working at the mo. The
big problem seems to be the barcode database. No-one seems to publish
this information for free. Also I believe the different supermarkets
seem to use their own databases, hence a single solution for all shops
seems difficult to do. I am currently trying to populate my database
automatically from the favorites list stored on-line (sainsburys). This
gives me the sainsburys product code, and description, but not the bar
code.=20

^mad^ , I would be interested to swap vb programs, and ideas. I=92m not a
very good vb programmer, hence it slow progress.

Iain Goodhew