Getting past the NAT

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Getting past the NAT
  • From: "Derek Erb" <dce42@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:27:50 -0000

I'm hoping this isn't considered OT...

I have worked with quite a few routers and firewalls.  I'm therefore
reasonably accustomed to NAT addressing.

Normally the only time I need to access a computer from the Internet
is for a bit of pcAnyWhere.  I therefore use the IP address of the
router as it is seen from the Internet and reconfigure the firewall
quickly to assign the internal IP address of the computer I want to
connect to (192.168.1.x) to the PCAW port and then I can connect
through to that computer.

In my new home I'm going to have several computers and applieances I
am going to want to connect to from the outside on the Internet
(network cameras (Axis), security alarm system, computers with web
cams, ...).

I am hoping to have a fixed IP address for my Internet connections
(ADSL & Cable).  But does anyone know how I can get past the net to
the specific machine I want?

To give a specific example:
Let's say my external IP address for my router is 212.25.25.25.
Behind the router I've got a network camera with 192.168.1.3, a web
server with 192.168.1.42 and a security alarm system with
192.168.1.69.

>From the Internet I can only see 212.25.25.25.  Can anyone tell me
some way that I can access the 3 machines which are behind the
router from the Internet?

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions you may have.