Re: Condensing boilers & microbore pipe

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:52:17 -0000, you wrote:

><snip>
>How many houses in the UK currently have micro CHP intalled......
>exactly 0.
></snip>

Oddly enough, the real answer appears to be several hundred. The BBC
did a Radio 4 programme on micro CHP plants being trialled in a couple
of areas of the UK funded by electricity generators. Can't remember
the companies involved, sorry (Powergen?).

I intestigated this a bit, as I have a narrowboat and the company
mentioned also do a silent genset for boats.
http://www.whispergen.com/resident.html

The technology is rather neat- it's a Stirling engine. Their WWW has
possibly the best use of flash animations I've seen to explain how
these work.

http://www.whispergen.com/whispgn.html
http://www.whispergen.com/stirling.html

I'm not about to give up a chunk of my garage for a CHP plant
tomorrow, but in a few years time, who knows.

They are working on a new donestic genset as the current one needs a
mains supply to generate electricity (which is a bit poor as it stops
a gas powered UPS, or a LPG tank supplying remote houses).

James
--
James Derrick
james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, England