Re: Asterisk progress

Dan,

>> TTS (Festival - not actually worth it, dire to say the least)
>What's that?

It converts text to speech and palys it over the phone line...

>> Short dialing (I can dial FWD users with 8<fwd number> and
it dials <fwd
>number>)
>do you mean 8<fwd  number> is shorter that
<fwdnumber>?..:-)

dialing 8<fwd number> is quicker than dialing 8<fwd
number>@fwd.pulver.com
especially on a hard phone.

>> Voicemail notification on phones and via email (email attaches
message if
>required)
>Standard PSTN phones? How?

No, sorry SIP phones only, though I have seen something about changing
either
the dial or ring tone to signify voicemail is present.

>> I am thinking about either a single FXO card or probably
(preferably) a
>mini gateway device (1 fxo, 2fxs is fine)

>Do you think that Actiontec's USB InternetPhoneWizard (1xFXS,1xFXO) can
be
>used for such purpose?

I have no idea, have you got a URL?

>I just ordered one in USA for about 40 USD...

Seems cheap enough

>I'm afraid that the FXO port is just switched to the FXS one when a
regular
>call must take place.
>What about a standard voce modem used for the gateway?
>There is Internet Line Jack available which works with somelinux
>applications, but is much to expensive for me too (more than 250USD)...

yes, and that's geting close to the price of a gateway...

>> I'm using a mixture of softphones on PC's (3 x sjphone - seems to
work
>best for me) and hardphones (2 x Snom 100's).
>Have you tried X-Lite?

Yes, and I don;t like it... nasty little application *611 to get to the
config?! wtf is that
about.

>It has G.723 too, which is a very good codec for not so hi QoS lines,
as
>ours. Sometimes when G.711 failed to offer a good conversation quality,
>with
>G.723 everything was perfect. Unfortunately, good hardware phones like
>Cisco
>7960 does not support G.723 and G.729 is a proprietary codec which is
not
>available for free. (Cisco ATA-186 supports G.723 and works very well).

yes, that's a licensing issue sadly..

>Please keep us informed about your progress..It is a very nice and
>interesting subject.

Of course...

Andy