Re: TV Cards

Hi James,

James Fidell wrote:
> Quoting Bruno Prior (bruno@xxxxxxx):
>
>>I have been struggling to get the Hauppauge Nova-T (digital tuner)
working
>>under linux.
[SNIP]

> I have one of these, too.  I don't have it working yet, but I think
> that may be more to do with reception than with the card itself.
> Can linux see the card at all when it's plugged in and you load the
> relevant drivers?

Yup, it shows up as a Philips SAA7146 Multimedia Controller using lspci -v,
even without loading the modules. There are a multitude of issues
concerning
driver versions, device files, interrupts and the tuning/streaming
software.
I actually have the card working after a fashion now. If you were planning
on using this card under linux and you have problems, contact me off-list
and we can compare your errors with my long list of problems. There is a
difference, for instance, between the errors you will get due to bad
reception and installation/configuration errors.

>>No idea if this is true - the only analogue TV tuner I have tried
is an ATI
>>All-In-Wonder Pro, and I have had as much success with that on
linux as I
>>have with the Nova-T.
[SNIP]

> I'm fairly sure there are people using the ATI card under linux
without
> any problems, though I believe you need a new driver for it.

That's definitely the case, but I have the latest ati.2 package, and it
still doesn't work for me. I just have the black spot where hardware for
linux is concerned (everything I touch dies), which is a shame as it's the
only OS I use. And it's not like I'm a novice - I've been using linux for
around 7 years now. :-(

Cheers,

Bruno