Latest message you have seen: Re: Solar PV Monitoring

RE: Grand Designs tonight

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Grand Designs tonight
  • From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:02:41 -0000

I know that you can't get something out of nothing, but we have one show
called "Rogue Traders" here in UK. They put hidden cameras all
over the
house and around and call contractors to do some jobs, plumbing,
building work, car work etc.
And people end up being ripped off, without job being done properly.
It's not that they went for cheap option, its just contractors who took
money and didn't do the work, regardless of how much money they get.
That's the scenario that scares most of the consumers.
In the case of this guy's roof, it's not that they used cheap material
to make the saving. Both plywood and glue was O.K. and up to specs. They
just didn't know how to do the job, because it was unusual and didn't
put clamps close enough so plywood popped up. I don't see much savings
there. The only saving I can see they made is by spending less time and
attention on that project.
But that company looked disorganized anyway, they send people on site
without tools and instructions, so they wait hours for that. Again, they
don't save money there, because if they had instructions and tools, they
would finish that job earlier and move to another.=20
They try to hammer out bolts and crack walls and do other damage.=20
They put plywood grain in wrong direction, etc.
O.K. they didn't put rain protection and that's where they saved a bit,
but not much.
On the other hand, he spent =A3160k+ on glazing and he run into similar
problems with Jansen and dimples on frames. And they are big, reputable
company, not "cheap".
I know that in the ideal world, if you pay more, you should get better
service, but we all know that it's not like that in reallity.
We all know that you can buy exactly the same thing from different shops
on different prices, sometimes with 75% discount.
It's the similar with builders, if they don't have job at the moment,
they will probably give you some discount just to get the job, which
doesn't imply that they will not do it properly.
So I wouldn't blame the guy too much for going for cheaper solution.=20
I blame him more for not checking that company credentials and practice.
And, at the end of the day, I must agree with you that if something is
too cheap, it raises suspicion. In that case you need to know exactly
the reasons for that.
You cannot pay Mini and get Rolls Royce, but you might manage to get
Honda :-).
Cheers,
Nik