Clipsal C-Bus / xAP gateway interested parties

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Clipsal C-Bus / xAP gateway interested parties
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:16:06 +0100

A brief update..

I am nearing completion of the C-Bus to xAP gateway now in its first
pass as a Windows application that connects to the C-Bus SIM or RS232
interface. I shall be putting up some web pages and looking for some beta
testers shortly. I shall ongoingly post updates about this on the
xAP_Automation list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xap_automation/)
so if
you are interested make sure you are subscribed there.
Before I commit to the next implementation which will be a hardware
(embedded) version that includes a SIM C-Bus interface and speaks native
xA=
out the other end I have a few questions.....

1) How many people are actually interested in this product and would
potentially purchase an embedded version (approx =A350 + C-Bus SIM) ?? I
ho=
pe
to make the software only version freeware (or shareware). A C-Bus SIM is
circa =A350 .
2) Or is the Windows application an acceptable solution to you ? Let me
kno=
if you will use this.
3) If not but I had a Linux version too would that be adequate ?
4) If I provide the embedded version would an RS232 serial xAP
implementation be acceptable (cf Ethernet)? This would require connection
t=
one of the available software bridge products running on a PC via a serial
port to get to say Ethernet. As the C-Bus SIM module can be located
anywher=
I see no need to support anything except RS232.
5) OR do you want/need Ethernet connectivity direct from the hardware ? I
can do this but the cost of the solution doubles from (guessing here)
=A350=
=A3100 ish (+ C-Bus SIM) and my development platform will have to change
fr=
om
PIC to Rabbit which will extend the timescale somewhat.
6) If the embedded solution was offered as a software personality that sat
within a general purpose xAP I/O device - eg the Rocket xAP product - but
supported the C-Bus SIM would that be better ?=20
7) Would people like a (non xAP) version that provided a basic simplified
control protocol out on a serial interface - basically just the ability to
switch C-Bus loads ON and OFF (supporting level setting) and reported C-Bus
load change status info.
8) Does anyone want a xPL solution ?
9) Has anyone any particular requirements for features of C-Bus to be
supported - currently all groups can be monitored and set to any level
usin=
any of the ramp times available. Full status reporting is provided along
with changes. Phantom groups can be created to effectively control non
C-Bu=
loads eg an X10 load. The light level and temperature sensor is also
supported. The units and groups present on C-Bus are reported along with
th=
unit number of any input device that actions a load change.
10) And just to complete ten questions... will Tony Butler want another
option ;-)=20

Please let me know OFFLIST or if it is of a wider interest on the
xAP_Automation list. NOT this UKHA list !!!

Cheers Kevin