Re: Operating a power amp using x10

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Operating a power amp using x10
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:55:58 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Peter Moorcroft"
<peter.moorcroft@n...> wrote:
> I currently building a MP3 jukebox on a PC. I like to automate the
switching on of a power amp when using the jukebox. Could I use X10
to power up the power amp when the mp3 juke box software is used. I
don't want the power amp on when the PC boots up to avoid the oomp
noise as the sound card powers up.

Peter,

The idea is sound. I have a power amp on an Appliance module in my
dressing room. Whenever I go in there, it responds to a PIR trigger
and turns on. (It plays whatever is playing in the master bedroom via
a KAT5 module pair.) The master bedroom system runs off a Rio 90% of
the time.

> How would I attach the X10 signal to jukebox software. Is there
> macro functionality?

Which MP3 software are you using?

Anything that can run a command line program should be able to do
a "xAP-send" with the appropriate xAP file to control a CM12U.

I use Patrick Lidstones xAP-CM12U software, and Stuart Booth's xAP-
send... links to both at www.xapautomation.org

I found this somewhat easier and more flexible than trying to run the
nasty command line program that comes with the CM12U hidden away on
the ActiveHome CD - specifically it means that I can run the command
sender on a different PC to the one with the CM12U on it... and have
multiple different programs send commands to the CM12U.

What can I say... an HA solution involving:

- a Rio Receiver
- KAT5
- X10
- xAP