RE: Re: OT: SETI

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT: SETI
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:28:04 -0000

>If you actually read the IP staatement in its entirety, there really is
>nothing to worry about. (unless of course you are a barrack room lawyer)

Read it again, this time minus the rose tint. Publication of information, no
matter how useful it would be to the ongoing research of other groups
seeking a cure worldwide, will simply not happen if this threatens the
ability of Oxford and UD to get some nice juicy patents.

>I really don't think that the lack of an opensource client implies that
>an organisation is sinister per-se

No one is saying, or implying, that UD are "sinister". What they are is a
purely commercial entity, who will act to protect the interest of it's
shareholders first, with the public interest second. If you are happy with
that, fine, use the software, but don't start throwing around cheap digs
like "if anyone cares".

I care, but I think that cancer research is better served by organisations
who publish openly in the spirit of scientific progress, not those who seek
to tie everyone else's research up in patents and licences.

>The fact that CPU cycles were diverted at a particularly sensitive time if
you
>look at things from a common sense perspective should really not be an
issue.

Personally, I find deceiving people who thought they were finding a cure for
cancer into carrying out free research for the military morally repugnant,
and not in the least "common sense".

However, this is OT for UKHA, so this is my final comment on the subject.

Ian.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
HGTV Dream Home Giveaway