RE: Re: RE: Windows XP Media Center Edition Review

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re: RE: Windows XP Media Center Edition Review
  • From: roaming@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:25:52 +0000

Quoting steve.cooper@xxxxxxx:
> >> Open Vs. closed architecture basically...
>
> I can understand that.  I believe the market for this type of Media Center
> application lies in shipping it as a complete system, software, hardware
> the lot, all locked down.  If it ships as a complete solution it will go
> like hot cakes but as a software solution to build on to any old PC setup,
> it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

But that is pretty much what they _are_ trying to do!
You cannot buy the software separately, and there are specific minimum hardware
requirements (eg MPEG-2 decoding in hardwarE) and _still_ it shudders when
browsing channels and recording at the same time!

Granted, this is not "locked" down in the sense you mean because one is still
free to add more software, upgrade the hardware etc once you have the machine -
but if the virgin box doesn't perform then it's got no chance once you bung
Orifice XP or some such thing on it :-)

> It comes down to the what is expectable to have sitting in your lounge,
> with the xbox they made an attempt to move towards this type of thing hifi
> style and away from computer games console.

Not really - the XBox is first and foremost a games console.
It just so happens it can play Cd's, DVD's etc.
There were 2 camps in MS - the Ultimate TV guys who wanted an STB that could
also do games, and the xbox guys who whated a great gaming machine that could
also do other multimedia stuff.
The xbox guys pretty much won, though there are persistent rumours of something
coming out of redmond that is the best of xbox + STB/PVR features.
Still 2 yrs away though I reckon.....

T.