Re: Media Servers - Sony Cocoon

Interesting article on BBC news website about Sony and their new
Cocoon device :

Mr Ando showed off Sony's Cocoon, a device about the size of a DVD
player that hooked up the TV to the internet by broadband.

The machine runs on Linux and has a hard disc that can record 100
hours of video. It is already gone on sale in Japan.

"Cocoon will transform TV into an interactive, intelligent
experience," said Mr Ando.

Tom

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> the subject of the XP Media edition certainly raised a few posts !!!
>
> I read the review last night and have been thinking about several
of the
> points raised in it and also thinking about the requirement that
others on
> this list have mentioned in the past.
>
> At first glance it looks very good until you consider some of
things they
> indicate it should be used for.
>
> 1. PVR - This is the application that will probably get hammered
the most
> and as pointed out in the review, despite a hardware encoder and a
meaty PC,
> it still suffered stuttering. Totally unacceptable :-(
>
> 2. Audio Player - I would say that a substantial proportion of
those on this
> list already have some form of centralised MP3 distribution system
with a
> central repository of files namely the MP3 Server. Playback methods
vary
> with some people using PC applications like WinAmp, others using
dedicated
> playback devices such as RIO and SlimMP3 etc, and in my case, my
web based
> jukebox software that I designed for my individual needs.
>
> 3. DVD and Video playback - across between 1 & 2 in so much as the
video
> files were obtained from elsewhere such as a ripped DVD as we are
doing with
> CD to MP3. Playback only needs a suitable Codec and control
application for
> any decent PC or dedicated playback device.
>
> 4. Photo album - again easily achieved with a bit of webserver
software, a
> database to store info, and lots of disk space for storage of the
photos

> 5. Normal workstation !!!! - well hardly :-(
> The photo on the review shows that the VGA output was blocked off
so the
> only intended method of connection is S-Video to the TV. This will
not have
> the display resolution to do any serious work and the rest of the
family
> would be seriously unimpressed if you stole the TV to check your
email while
> they wanted to watch Eastenders.
>
> What have we learned from the hardware we already have....
>
> Tivo - GREAT :-)
> A vast improvement over the VCR because you can watch a recording
whilst you
> are recording something else. OK, so some of us could do that with
VCR
> because we had more than one machine, but VCR's didnt have the
superb TV
> guide, the ability to learn what you like and suggest programs to
record and
> a VCR isnt anywhere near as user freindly. Just try remembering
which tape
> you recorded something on never mind where on the tape. I know you
could
> make a note of where and when but many of us are not that organised
and TiVo
> takes care of that for us.
>
> Which is where Tivo's biggest limitation (IMO) comes. It is sold as
a PVR
> (Personal Video Recorder) IT ISNT !!!
>
> Tivo is a FVR ( Family Video Recorder ). Whilst the suggestions are
superb,
> it learns from everything it shows and records irrespective of WHO
watched
> it. Hands up anyone who wouldnt readily have a Tivo for each member
of the
> family so that it was truly a PERSONAL video recorder.
>
> If several Tivo machines could be networked together, could learn
individual
> preferences, and share the TV guide distributing the recording
tasks amongst
> the machines it wouldbe the untimate recording system. There are
often time
> when a couple of programs clash but more that 3 clashes are very
rare
> especially given Tivo's ability to record alternative showings.
>
> So... what do I want from the convergance of Computers and
Entertainment.

> Total flexibilty - the ability to watch what I want, listen to my
music,
> view my photos, email, surf, a bit of work maybe. Thats what the
reviewed
> machine and software claimed to be able to do. But I want to do it
from
> anywhere in the house and I also want anyone else in the house to be
> exercising their freedom of choice at the same time.
>
> What do I need to achieve this.....
>
> 1. A data network - GOT THAT
> 2. Display devices - I have PC's with monitors and I have TV's.
>
> The PC's would be used for "proper" PC type tasks such as email,
work, and
> surfing where the resolution of a TV is not up to the task and the
task
> itself tends to be a private one rather than a shared experience.
The whole
> family dont want to see me typing email etc.
>
> The TV's need a way to convert signals on the data network into a
picture I
> can watch and audio I can listen to. Several people already have
their own
> "Set Top Box" based on the Via ITX PC's. I see these as highly
suitable for
> that task and they could also be used for games etc where only
simple
> controls are needed. Obviously some form of IR control would be
required.

> 3. Source devices  - 1 or more servers for the mass storage of
media.
> Located in node 0 or similar.
>     Live feeds or PVR - dedicated Mini PC with a TV capture card
doing the
> recording or streaming. Programs could be buffered on the local
hard disk
> and shipped off to the central server as processor resources
allowed to
> avoid stuttering problems .
>
> 4. Control - isnt that what Home Automation is all about :-)
> Many of us already run a webserver on our own intranets, be it
Apache, PWS,
> IIS or something smaller and more specific such as HomeVision,
Homeseer etc.

> With my web based jukebox software, (which also handles video files
as well)
> the webserver is only used for searching the database for the file
to be
> used and telling the client where to find it. It doesnt need to be
on the
> same server so if you want to keep the webserver machine separate
form the
> file server you can. You can also add additional file servers if
you need
> the extra storage.
>
> Great work has already been done with xAP thanks to a dedicated
band of very
> talented and dedicated people. xAP could be the ideal way to pass
commands
> to the dedicated Mini PC's that have the sole task of encoding
video. In a
> household with low recording demands you could have just one
encoding
> machine, other houses could have 2 or 3. There is also another
option for
> recording... recording the digital data streams from Freeview or
incoming
> ADSL feeds. That would have low processor requirements unlike the
conversion
> of analogue video.
>
> The biggest stumbling block is the electronic program guide.
Digiguide is
> good but is a dedicated application that isnt designed to
relinquish its
> valuable data to an external application. I spent a long time
devising my
> own TV guide by parsing the HTML files grabbed from ananova and
just as I
> was ready to deploy it they redisigned their website and totally
screwed my
> application. I havent had time to do anything else on it since. A
reliable
> source of TV program data in XML format would give us the
information we