Re: Re: [OT][ADVERT] Advice on on-line payment / shoppingbasket provider.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: [OT][ADVERT] Advice on on-line payment / shoppingbasket provider.
  • From: Calum Morrell <calum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:40:08 +0000

the_home_automator  wrote:
> I absolutely agree that it is bullshit that that you need a merchant
> account with the same bank as your primary bank.  You can have your
> merchant acount with any card merchant you wish.
>
> I'm glad that isnt what I said.
>
> What I did say was that not all UK banks who are willing to process
> credit cards will process them for anyone who is not an account
> holder with them. What I probably should have added is "in the
> specific context of internet transactions".  For example, NatWest
> bought a chunk of WorldPay a few years back (27m quid IIRC) and
> instantly became disintrested in any other internet based credit card
> processing mechanisms.

No, that may have been what you meant, but what you actually said was
"Most banks are only willing to provide merchat services if you bank
with them" which I find misleading and inaccurate.

I still disagree with you. I am in the process of setting up a business
just now that will accept primarily via the web and the advice I have
been getting from professionals in this area including the banks
themselves, is that in general they really don't care. As long as you
project a high enough turnover and satisfy their stringent terms they
want the cash they make from the cc transactions. If they also have your
business as a regular a/c customer great, if not, they still want that %
of cash.

Natwest is actually one of the ones recommended by a number of gateways
that are NOT Worldpay as they apparently provide a good range of
services. Whether or not this is due to them "softening" or not I have
no idea as I have only been looking into this for a few months and have
no previous knowledge.

--
Calum Morrell
www.drochaid.org