Re: IR distribution

Three things about Xantech:

1) In addition to being a brand name, Xantech is also a standard
shared by several systems (a bit like a "hoover"), including Nile= s,
Russound, and some ChannelPlus.  In some cases this is immitation, in =
others its an OEM arrangement.  Some third party gear (e.g. Slink-e) <= BR> is also compatible with this standard.

2) You can get some of this stuff cheaper direct from the states.

3) There is some Xantech compatible gear that is "better" than Xantech.  For distribution blocks I now use Buffalo IR-100s, which (unlike many Xantech blocks) are amplified so will driver blasters as
well as tiny emitters, and have a signal LED which is handy for
debugging.  See http://www.buffaloelectronics.com/p-ir100.htm

Try Smarthome, http://= www.smarthome.com/irsignals.html, who are quite
happy to deliver to the UK.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Brian G. Reynolds"
<brian.g.reynolds@n...> wrote:
> Okay, I am going to "bite-the-bullet" and buy some Xantech <= BR> stuff.....
>
> I think I need the following..
> 791-44            IR= Splitter/Amplifier      Qty 1   &n= bsp;
              &= nbsp;   =A3 77.23
> 490-00            Mi= cro Link Receiver       Qty at least 1  =
              &= nbsp;   =A3 88.13

> 283M            Sing= le Blink Emitter      Qty 1 per AV piece of
equipment      =A311.75
> or
> 286M            Doub= le Blink Emitter      Half as many as Single Blink= ?
            =A316.45

> Total =A3181 min!
> yikes!!!!
>
> I think the IR emitters could be bought from, err, Maplins and
soldered onto CAT5e? and the end connectors 1.5mm? also soldered on
for connection into the Splitter/Amplifier.
> At the moment I seem to be living in the loft with all my kit rack mounted and I am using a Pronto to control the kit. What I am
thinking about is, if I use stick on emitters I assume they cover the
whole of the IR window therefore stopping the Pronto from working?
> I know someone is going to say "if you can control everything fro= m
a Pronto why fit Xantech stuff?" Easy answer, I do not intend to live =
up here indefinitely! I also have my meals in the kitchen and dining
room and would like to be able to control what I watch there, not to
mention the living room when I eventually move back downstairs
> Does anyone have any suggestions or am I on the right track?
> Thanks all,
> B.

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""=