RE: Wiring program

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wiring program
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:24:05 -0000

I'm presuming that you know what's under your floors already, location of
pipes etc...

If so, then I guess you could use a Cable CAD system, there's a variety of
systems for large projects, but I would have thought them to be overkill for
a house. Google should turn up a few suggestions.

If not, then I'd just do a rough sketch. Cable disappears on the reel as if
by magic as soon as you start to pull it, so make sure you have plenty of
spare, don't buy just enough or you'll be rushing out to the local DIY shed
with minutes to go before closing time. (Not that I'd ever admit to it of
course !)

I have a sheet of A4 for each floor showing the rough location of each point
in each room and a detail sheet for each room. Recording what's where is a
good idea, but make sure that you also mark on the boards everything you
find as it saves time when you revisit.

If you're running more than 1 of each type of cable to a point, then you'll
save a lot of time by having multiple reels and pulling them in a single
hit. You may be left with cable over, but you'll need loads of short bits to
make your patch leads !

Have fun.