RE: OT : eBay

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT : eBay
  • From: "Malcolm Surgenor" <malcolm@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:02:48 -0000

Paul

Thanks for the pointers...

Whilst eBay have been sympathetic and helpful, the most 'plausible'
suggestion they put forward is that the individual just guessed my password.
But as I've always used a mixture of alphas and numerics I find this
difficult to believe.

I've always taken security pretty seriously and although I've a home network
of 5 PCs, they are only used by individual members of my family, all have
their own Windows logons and passwords. They all have ZoneAlarm Pro running
and sit behind a Vigor 2600 ADSL router (my two sons' computers running
CyberPatrol as well).  So I'm very confident that this isn't an internal
'hack'.

I will admit to using eBay from another computer recently - at work. But as
far as I know their security measures are tighter.

I run Norton Anti Virus once a week here at home and have an up to date
subscription for their signature files. I also use SpyBot and Ad-aware
(although this is getting very out of date now) once or twice a month.

I took the opportunity this afternoon of trying out some of the security
audit web sites (http://www.pcflank.com/test.htm , http://www.auditmypc.com/
and http://grc.com/default.htm) this afternoon. Mostly they gave me clean
bill of health. I will admit to opening up ports 6699 and 6257 from time to
time to d/l music via WinMX.

One aspect I'm not clear about though is my HomeSeer (at last a HA link in
this thread!) website is made available on one particular PC by opening up
port 80 in the router and mapping it to that PC only. HomeSeer is the only
software running on that PC although it itself does access the internet to
check for updates, d/l local weather, etc). There are some shares between
our PCs they are only directories containing music files for example - none
of my installed software, cookies, etc are shared.  It's my understanding
(albeit limited) that this doesn't expose a risk?

Appreciate any other comments...

Malcolm

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor