FD10 DIN filter question.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FD10 DIN filter question.
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:06:14 +0100

I have a situation where a particular device kills X10 to some of my
modules, it is a Scan Ethernet switch. It is mounted in my HiFi node and I
reasoned that rather than plug just the switch into a FM10 mains
socket/filter I would isolate all the HiFi rack 'X10' wise such that any
other devices there would not attenuate the X10. I have no use for X10
within that HiFi node. So I bought an FD10 DIN mount filter coupler
instead,
really because it has screw terminals and could mount inline with the fused
spur that feeds this area.
So first question - are the filters doing the same job in these two
devices (ignoring the phase coupling), or is the DIN filter there
specifically to block X10 from entering your house from elsewhere ? - ie a
more tuned filter rather than removing general attenuation perhaps caused
by
noise or capacitive loading on the mains.
So I wired it up - live IN from my mains feed and Live OUT to my
HiFi rack - with N and E correct. Switched on and now most of my X10 was
inoperable in the house. Unplugging the Scan switch had no effect. So I now
reasoned that in a normal situation in an incoming distribution unit the
X10
'happy' side would be the OUT and the other IN side (normally outside
world)
would not matter. So possibly the filter kills & attenuates everything
on
the 'outside world' side. However if I reverse it I will effectively be
feeding Live in the OUT terminal and out the IN terminal. Now I don't think
this will matter as it is AC and I suspect just a series of chokes and
capacitors but can someone confirm this is OK. I have tried it and it all
works correctly - my house is now filtered from the HiFi cupboard and the
Scan switch.

But my setup is

________
LIVE _______ OUT-      -IN _____ >   L   HiFi load
FD10

Is this OK ??

Interestingly my FD10 differs from the diagram in the instructions
which shows the mains entering and leaving on the left of the FD10 - on
mine
it is the right, IN at bottom OUT at top. My N connection is at the bottom
though and the phase coupling at the top (correct) which matches. Strange.